Thursday, February 24, 2011

YSL Fall 2003 + Gucci Spring 2000 = Gucci Fall 2011

2011-02-24_20-57-21
Gucci Fall 2011

I completely relate to something Carine Roitfeld recently said:

"When you see ten shows in one day, it’s very difficult to have a [considered] reflection... Sometimes it takes a week to digest everything. I’m not very good just after a show. Sometimes you love it, but you don’t know why you love it. You have to digest, and after you have better answers." - Style.com

Of course it is a bit easier watching the shows at your own pace at home, but for this reason, I have yet to post anything relating to the Fall fashion shows, as I am still wrapping my head around them. Perhaps after Paris, I will have formed a complete picture for fall, and then I will post my reviews, along with what I am most coveting for the season. That said, I can't wait to post a short bit on Gucci's fall collection, as it instantly reminded me of two of my favorites from Tom Ford: YSL Fall 2003 and Gucci Spring 2000. For the first time since Frida Giannini took the helm at this label, I got that "feeling" that only Tom Ford's designs did for me in the past. I can't quite describe it, but for me, Gucci is back. Not to say that I haven't loved every collection Giannini has done so far - they have all been brilliant - but inevitably they lacked that certain dark, brooding, yet easygoing sex appeal that Ford is such a wonder at. The turquoise python sent me immediately to THAT dress from Spring 2000 - you know, the one worn by Gwyneth Paltrow that garnered almost as much press as that other (Versace) plunging one worn by Jennifer Lopez - and something about the jewel tones and flowing chiffon instantly transported me to Fall 2003, this time to YSL. Interestingly enough, that collection also featured the red velvet cherry sandals that Anna dello Russo recently brought back into the spotlight and seem to be having a moment for Spring, as fruit is popping up all over the place (see below).

49765_Gucci_Ver6o2000_phMarioTestino_CarolineRibeiro_06_122_371lo
Gucci Spring 2000 ad featuring Caroline Ribeiro and the famous crystal beaded python dress

2011-02-24_20-25-21
YSL Fall 2003
yslcherry1
Anna dello Russo in her YSL 2003 cherry heels

dello Russo seems to have been the originator of the most recent incarnation of this trend, as just last season she was spotted in several festive fruits from cheeky milliner Piers Atkinson. Fast forward to Fall fashion week, and fruit has been the go-to accessory for style-setters everywhere, ranging from the literal (Charlotte Olympia's banana clutch) to more subdued references (banana prints à la Prada).

AnnaDelloRusso
The original - dello Russo in Piers Atkinson
vs.
The new school


5
Charlotte Olympia banana clutch, laser-cut leaf sandals, and Prada banana print cotton skirt

Charlotte-Dellal-Banana-by-Sartorialist
Charlotte Dellal in her own Carmen Miranda-inspired designs

For those wishing to rock this trend now, there are several options available online already, and I even managed to find a scaled-down version of the Piers Atkinson headband, which I actually prefer to the original (this one's sparkly!).

2011-02-24_20-19-43
Clockwise from top left: Prada Banana earrings @ prada.com, Stella McCartney citrus printed satin dress @ Luisa Via Roma, Piers Atkinson cherry headband @ Benna, Kenneth Jay Lane strawberry pendant necklace @ Pret-a-Beaute, Charlotte Olympia fruit pumps @ Luisa Via Roma

And though there are countless ways to wear this trend right now, no one can work it better than the true original:

1x02-Be-A-Pal-i-love-lucy-13153060-720-480

Style.com, STREETFSN, The Fashion Spot, The Sartorialist, fanpop!

xx

4 comments:

  1. Awwww Lucy! Really like this Gucci collection and I usually can't stand Gucci.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how the crystal beaded python dress looks so luxurious but not over the top crazy and trashy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Anna dello Russo! She's amazing! :)

    http://monsieurmauro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh!! I made nearly the same look on my blog with bananas, ispirating from Arcimboldo 's painting!!!

    ReplyDelete